Sunday, December 21, 2008

Top 20 Travel Quotes

OK, so I know I talked about starting Top Ten lists, but travel quotes are just too good to limit them to 10! So here are 20 of my all-time favorite travel quotes. They have the ability to inspire, comfort, motivate, and invigorate... I hope that at least a few will speak to you!

  1. "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home." James Michener

  2. "I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson


  3. "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

  4. "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Mark Twain

  5. "To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries." Aldous Huxley

  6. "When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money." Susan Heller

  7. "People don’t take trips – trips take people." John Steinbeck

  8. "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." St. Augustine

  9. "The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." G.K. Chesterton

  10. "Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by." Robert Frost

  11. "Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken." Frank Herbert

  12. "I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine." Caskie Stinnett

  13. "I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

  14. "Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind." Seneca

  15. "Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they have been told to." Alan Keightley

  16. "A traveler without observation is a bird without wings." Moslih Eddin Saadi

  17. "Experience, travel - these are as education in themselves." Euripides

  18. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain


  19. "The great difference between voyages rests not with the ships, but with the people you meet on them." Amelia Barr

    And of course, my favorite:


  20. "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." Susan Sontag

If you have favorites of your own, please post them in the comments section!

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel...I, myself, am an avid traveller. I crave new cultures and experiences...can't wait to read more. :) I used to live and teach in Spain, but now live in Canada again...can't wait to travel again soon...
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete